Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a simple and easy low-carb/keto recipe that are loaded with flavor and only require a few ingredients. They are cheesy and delicious, and so satisfying!
One of my favorite recipes to make for my family is this recipe for Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken. It’s a recipe I’ve been making for years, but when I started a low-carb diet, I needed to find a way to make my favorite Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken without the panko bread crumbs so that it worked with my new lifestyle. This version of my Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken was developed with low carb in mind and it is simple, easy and delicious!
This recipe comes together relatively quickly and only requires a few ingredients. If you’ve been in a chicken rut lately and you’re looking for new chicken recipes to try, this one should go to the top of the list!
How do I cook stuffed chicken breast?
Everybody has a method that they like to use for cooking stuffed chicken breasts. My favorite method is to cut a slit in the side of the chicken, place some of the filling inside and then sear the chicken in a large skillet on both sides.
Once the chicken is seared, I transfer it to the oven so that it can finish cooking. Searing the Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken helps lock all of the delicious flavor and I feel like it’s an important step for making the best stuffed chicken breasts.
What’s the best cheese to stuff chicken with?
This recipe calls for both cheddar cheese, but also some cream cheese. Cream cheese works great in stuffed chicken recipes because it’s creamy and delicious, and stands up to heat really well.
While I used cheddar cheese you can really use whatever cheese you have on hand and enjoy. I’ve been on a Havarti kick lately, but swiss cheese, Monterey jack cheese, really any cheese will work with this recipe.
How long does it take to cook stuffed chicken breasts?
The answer to this question is not always cut and dry because it really depends on how big the chicken breasts are that you are using.
For this recipe I used fairly large chicken breasts that were about 5-6 ounces each and seared them for a few minutes on each side, then cooked them in the oven for about 18 minutes and they were cooked perfectly.
The key with cooking stuffed chicken, really any meat, is to use a meat thermometer so that you can ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165 degrees F. Adjust the bake time according to the size of your chicken breasts.
While I used broccoli and cheddar for this stuffed chicken recipe, you can get creative and use whatever ingredients that you’d like. Mozzarella and spinach would be delicious, mushrooms and cheese would also be amazing. You could also try wrapping the chicken in bacon to take it to a whole new level. The possibilities are endless!
I hope you like this recipe for low-carb/keto Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken. It is a favorite in my house, and I think it’ll be a favorite in your house too. Enjoy!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5-6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces finely chopped broccoli, cooked (I like to buy frozen steam-in-bag broccoli)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Use a knife to create a pocket about 2 inches in length on the side of each chicken breast.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
- In a small bowl combine finely chopped cooked/steamed broccoli, cheddar cheese and cream cheese.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the chicken breasts.
- Begin by searing the chicken breasts. In a large oven safe skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear on each side for about 3 minutes per side.
- Cover the pan and transfer the skillet to the oven. If your skillet is not oven safe, transfer the chicken to an oven safe casserole/baking dish and bake for about 16-18. Temp the chicken and when it’s cooked to 165 degrees, remove the chicken from the oven.
Feel free to substitute any cheese that you prefer. Mozzarella, swiss, and monterey jack cheeses are all delicious options.
Total net carbs: 6 grams per serving
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566 Total Fat: 41g Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g
Leave a Reply